Hair loss of any kind is an undesirable situation for both men and women. It leads to a loss of self-confidence in your looks and can hamper the self-image of the person suffering from it. Apart from aesthetics, hair serves as a natural shield against the elements, be it the sun, rain, or snow. Hence, preserving your hair and possibly regrowing lost hair is a major cause of concern for most people. While it is common knowledge that men suffer from hair loss leading to baldness more commonly than women, women too suffer from other types of hair loss, such as patchy hair loss known as alopecia areata. Such conditions can render one's hair thinner and uneven.
Hair regrowth treatments and therapies are in great demand among young people who are becoming more prone to hair loss due to certain lifestyles, habits, work-related stress, and other disorders. A study suggests that millennials in Asian countries such as China are going bald sooner than previous generations.
Regardless of the cause of hair loss, the search for hair regrowth treatments and medications is on the rise among the younger populations and can further intensify as they get older over the next decade.
Different methods and lifestyle techniques
Sometimes the hair loss and hair regrowth are tied to certain lifestyle changes that can easily be reversed. For example, not having enough sleep and staying in front of screens for too long can cause stress. This stress results in heightened alertness, high blood pressure, and other symptoms, including hair loss. Hence, trying to start hair regrowth must first start by correcting certain lifestyle anomalies that hinder hair health.
One of the most important aspects of hair health and hair regrowth is hair care. Taking good care of your hair and scalp is what will alleviate any underlying issues of the same. It must be noted that certain myths around haircare state that washing hair too often can lead to hair loss, but this is not true. Too much blow-drying of hair, on the other hand, can trigger hair loss by damaging the scalp and follicles due to the heat of the blow-dry. However, the hair loss through this usually grows back again.
Using hair dyes with toxic ingredients and synthetic materials can also cause hair to frizz, weaken and fall out. The remedy for hair regrowth in such situations is to either change your hair dye or stop using hair dyes overall.
Apart from these changes, certain hair care tips that can help hair regrowth include:
- Scalp Massage: Scalp massages help promote hair regrowth by helping blood flow through the scalp. This is especially useful for men, whose crown and temples generally do not receive enough blood circulation. Added to that, if the hair is not immune to Dihydrotestosterone (DHT), it can lead to male pattern baldness. Regular massages of the scalp in the temple, crown, sides, and the back of the head will help keep blood circulation even and promote hair regrowth in men in the long run.
- Nutrition: Apart from massages and proper washing and oiling, eating the right kinds of foods is also important. Some of the nutrients that can help in hair regrowth include zinc, iron, and fatty acids. Iron deficiency has been linked to hair loss in several experiments. Iron deficiency can be a problem if not enough protein-rich foods are consumed. Zinc deficiency has a direct correlation with brittle hair. However, if you are not diagnosed with zinc deficiency, there is no need for zinc supplementation. Increasing zinc-rich food intakes such as meat, fish, and legumes.
Which are the home remedies that can promote hair regrowth?
There are a variety of home remedies for hair loss and promote hair regrowth. Some of the popular and time-tested home remedies include:
- Coconut Oil: Coconut oil is used across a lot of eastern cultures to treat damaged hair of various types. It significantly reduces the protein loss in both damaged and undamaged hair as it can penetrate the hair shaft, hence promoting hair regrowth. The oil can be used as a pre-wash and a post-wash wash hair product.
- Aloe Vera: Research by the U.S National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health has shown that aloe vera, when applied to the scalp, can alleviate any underlying issues such as scars, hence healing the scalp, which results in healthier hair.
- Geranium Oil: Several studies have shown that oils extracted from the Geranium sibiricum plant, when applied on the scalp, cause the hair follicles to show rapid growth compared to other medications. Topical application of 1ml solution of Geranium sibiricum L. extract showed the hair follicles to be in an active anagen phase during the experiment. The anagen phase is also known as the growth phase, when the cells in the hair roots divide rapidly to add to the hair length. These experiments showed significant benefits as compared to 5% minoxidil.
- Rosemary Oil: The application of Rosemary oil twice a week for over 6 months has been shown to improve hair thickness and hair regrowth in a variety of studies. One thing to note is that regular application for 6 months is necessary for any noticeable results. Scalp itching may be a side effect of rosemary oil use in some cases.
What are the myths of hair regrowth?
Across cultures and traditions, certain practices and myths around hair care and hair regrowth remain to this day. Some of these myths include:
- Only men lose their hair through hereditary hair loss: While this is true to some extent in that men experience more hair loss on average than women, it does not hold that women do not suffer from hereditary or hormone-related causes. In women, hair loss is caused at certain stages in life, including puberty, pregnancy, menopause, etc. Other hormonal disorders such as polycystic ovary syndrome also lead to hair loss in women.
- Masturbation causes hair loss: No scientific studies conducted on this topic have shown any correlation between the two. This myth has been propagated due to the correlation between puberty-related hair fall in adolescents.
- The sun causes hair loss: This myth gets mentioned a lot due to the belief that the sun harms the follicles in some way. However, the hair grows from the root, which the sun cannot reach due to the scalp acting as a shield.
- Wearing helmets and hats cause hair loss: Unless the worn helmet or hat is too tight that it pulls on the follicles and damages the scalp, there are no scientific studies to show that just wearing a helmet or cap can cause hair loss.
What are the facts of hair loss?
- Hair loss is hereditary: There is enough scientific proof to show that if hair loss runs in the family, then you are likely to suffer from it too. While there are high chances that the hair fall-related gene may be active in you, it cannot be said for certain that this will be the case.
- Aging causes hair loss: As humans age, our hair follicles become weaker, and the hairs fall out. Also, the follicles die off over time and cannot be regenerated. Hence as people age, their hair becomes thinner and thinner over time.
Hair regrowth and retention are major causes of concern for a large number of men and women across the globe. If you are living in Dubai and are suffering from hair loss due to changes in climate, water, or any other condition, it is advisable to go for a consultation as soon as possible.
If you are searching for hair regrowth treatment options in Dubai, we would like to recommend checking out Advanced Hair Studio, an FDA-approved Hair Restoration and Regeneration Studio. Located at Villa 2, Al Wasl Road Umm Suqeim 3, Advanced Hair Studio has over 47 years of experience in restorative hair therapies and procedures.
Trusted by top athletes in the world of cricket, Advanced Hair Studio has a variety of hair restoration therapies, including “Advanced Laser Therapy” that aims to reduce Dihydrotestosterone’s impact on the scalp, which helps retain hair. To regrow lost hair, Advanced Hair Studio offers a hair fitness program that includes herbal shampoo, hair regrowth oil, and serum to provide a 360-degree hair care and maintenance program. They also offer hair transplant and other hair restoration services using the latest scientifically approved procedures.