Hair fall is perhaps the most common problem a person encounters. Hair fall can occur due to a variety of factors, including genetics, medical conditions or simply lack of care. Whatever might be the reason; its solution will depend on what kind of hair fall you are encountering.
You must go for a hair check-up, following which your hair expert might suggest a surgical or non-surgical treatment. Surgical options to restore hair fall include hair transplantation. Hair transplantation is a surgical technique that requires the removal of hair follicles from one part of the body and surgically putting that in another part of the body.
While the portion, from where the follicle is removed is called the donor site, the portion where the follicle is put is called the recipient site. In this article, we shall take a look at the various aspects of hair transplant and things that you have to keep in mind while undergoing a hair transplant treatment.
Overview of Hair Transplantation
Hair transplantation has gained increasing traction in recent times because of the advancement made in recent years. Although the practice has been common since the 1970s, it is only in recent years that the advancements made in the field have made this popular.
Newer treatments like DHT, FUE and FUT are popular among balding people as these provide a quick fix to your hair problems. FUT or Follicular Unit Transplant is an older method of treatment in which linear strips of hair-bearing skin are taken from the back of the scalp and then dissected into individual grafts.
FUE or Follicular Unit Extraction is a more modern treatment, in which follicular units containing 1 to 4 strips of hair are extracted and then planted on the recipient sites by puncturing those sites with tiny needles.
FUE can be done in a single session or multiple sessions and is generally much more time-consuming and complicated than strip surgery. Because in FUE small punctures take place, the scarring is less visible and the area heals up fast.
However, the longer time and higher costs are some of the disadvantages associated with this type of hair transplant. More recent advances in this field include robotic surgery in which robotic hands assist the surgeon in placing the hair follicles.
Different Types of Hair Transplantation
There are two main methods of hair transplant based on the nature of the operation:
- Strip excision harvesting
- Follicular extraction
In the first method, the surgeon first decides on the area from which the strip of hair must be harvested. The surgeon then harvests a strip from that area. Each incision is so planned to keep the hair intact. While the wound is being closed, the surgeon then begins to dissect each unit graft – naturally formed groupings of hair – from the strip.
The surgeon then uses very small micro blades or fine needles to puncture the sites for receiving the hair follicles. Then the hair follicles are placed in a predetermined density or pattern
In the second method, hair follicles are harvested instead of strips of hair. This is a more complicated treatment and gives your hair a natural look. Unlike the strip method, the follicular method does not involve removing a strip of hair.
Instead, it involves the removal of individual hair follicles. Before the procedure, a surgeon would shave off the donor area and numb it so that no pain is felt during the procedure. During the procedure, 2,400-5,000 grafts will be harvested to a particular area of the scalp.
If hairs are transplanted to the eyebrows, then only 150 to 200 grafts for harvesting the follicles will be needed. While the follicular method addresses the concern of thinning hair, receding hairline and bald spots, the strip method is better for those who have lost a lot of hair.
Hair Transplantation Side Effects
While transplantation is usually safe, they have nonetheless, some hair transplant side effects:
- Scarring is an unavoidable side effect. However, scarring is generally not pronounced in the FUE method. This is because unlike FUT, whole strips of skin are not removed. Instead, the surgeon carefully extracts individual follicles, thereby preventing scarring to a great extent.
- Infections can occur especially if you are a diabetic patient as the wounds take a long time to heal
- Scalp pain, itching and swelling may be possible. However, there is no reason to wonder:
- Is a hair transplant painful? The pain is minimal in the surgeries conducted nowadays.
- In some extreme cases, losing sensation in and around the operated area may be possible
Benefits of Hair Transplantation
Here are some hair transplant benefits:
- Hair transplantation works best for those who have receding hairline and those who have started balding. However, if you are in the advanced stages of hair loss or fall then you may opt for hair weaving or bonding with which you can a full head of hair in no time
- Hair transplantation gives your hair a more professional look than wearing a wig, which looks artificial
- There is minimal downtime involved.
- The process is cheaper in the long run, as you do not need to spend a fortune on expensive wigs
- While there are side effects, but with advancements made in robotic surgery, hair transplantation has generally become less and less invasive
How to plan Hair Transplant?
Here are the key steps explaining how is hair transplant done:
- Speak to your doctor regarding your hair fall. Based on the stage of hair fall your doctor would advise you on the correct method of treatment.
- Once the date is fixed for surgery, you might be asked to crop your hair from the donor site that would help the doctor to remove the exact number of follicles required.
- After the surgery is performed, you must give time to your donor site to heal. Meanwhile, your transplanted hair might fall off and after a month or so, new hair may begin to grow.
There is no doubt that hair transplantation is an effective and long-term treatment for bald spots. Advanced Hair Studio in Dubai brings you a range of hair treatments and hair products, specifically designed to give you long-lasting results.
As a company, we have successfully catered to a wide range of clients, including a glittering array of celebrities and sportspersons. From surgical and non-surgical solutions to cosmetic therapies and products, we offer a wide range of treatments for all kinds of hair damage and hair loss.